This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Master Droid

Post Post #18165
So... would it make sense for more of us to get involved on Synthwave forums, or in Soundcloud groups or whatever, both to comment on their stuff and to publicize spacesynth among people who like synthwave?

Has there been much connection between Synthwave people and Demoscene people? Should we be doing more to connect with the Demoscene? That's also doing pretty well, is it not? We definitely have people who come from that and heavily influenced by it, so it would make sense to use that connection, too. Further afield would be general video game music communities, which are definitely quite active.

I do agree that more variety is a better way to stay vital. Not that people can't copy LD, if that what will float their boat, but if you're not crazy about LD from the get-go, you'll probably find it pretty tiresome after a while. But I think we do have variety, and it's not something I worry about.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.... We're clearly in a lull. I won't try to predict whether we'll come out of that or not. It does seem that a number of people here may have more things going on in their lives that means they're less involved with spacesynth and/or making less music (I hear small children are pretty time-consuming). Then again--who knows? Maybe there will be a resurgence when most of us are retirees. Very Happy

Post Post #18167
I do like the demoscene and the atmosphere! Very Happy And I am a regular visitor of Nectarine Demoscene Radio. There are actually a few sceners that made SS and some wich is/was active here. I do like to redo/remix old SS mod's as you might have noticed and in some cases "space up" other modules wich isnt SS in original.
Some of the SS on Nectarine is listed here: https://www.scenemusic.net/demovibes/tags/Spacesynth/ but I don't think thats all of the SS on there. There is ALOT of nice music to explore over there! Wink

/Spiral

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #18170
I share my spacesynth music with demoscene community sometimes too, although I am not active to take part of the happenings and discussion there anymore. I have to agree spacesynth is well known and respected genre in demoscene for sure. Thanks to the pioneers like Gustaf and Jukke etc., for example...

Post Post #18846
Space Synth ain't dying , I just started to get into it , listening Koto , Laserdance etc... learning the 'tricks' , sure maybe i'll be able to make some tracks but they will sound spacesynth style but mostly i will be making them for myself , it's what i like , don't really care what the crowd wants . Honestly the music industry is pretty much screwed up anyways if you wanna sell it's all about money , contacts , horrible stuff you see on tv... no thanks , enjoy the music , life , least we can do is stay togheter and create a good community , that's what creates a stronger Space Synth! Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #23621
Continuing discussion from here http://www.spacesynth.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23617#23617 because I think this fits more under this topic.

filipesantos wrote:
yea it all feels a bit movie orientated. think thats the thing in synthwave its mostly tv based stuff. its much simpler to compose , its progressive in a bit like techno all in one line , they even do sidechaining? lol sidechaining mustve been amazing in the 80s lol. much of synthwave doesnt do chord changes like in spacesynth , reason why many prefer making synthwave . its funny but true spacesynth is more complex.

i prefer spacesynth , its all the sounds the chords the way its structured. i like some synthwave but most of it its just random crap.

I like spacesynth because of the same reasons than you, especially because of its "melodic playground". What I like about synthwave is its darker mood and its nostalgic sound landscape. In general, synthwave seems to be more "neutral" what comes to melodies.

What comes to which is easier or more difficult to make... In general, spacesynth probably is more difficult and that is one reason why synthwave is more appealing to some musicians, especially newbies. But it also depends on the goals. I don't think synthwave is just easy if making it really well, and I guess the challenges of synthwave is elsewhere than in complex melodies. But, none said that there shouldn't be complex melodies in synthwave...

It seems synthwave is not purely like the music of 80's, but more like strongly 80's influenced music produced with new mixing techniques, like sidechain compression. But, at least the gated reverb is still used... Wink

To me, it would be interesting to mix the spacesynth and synthwave ideas together somehow, although that has a bit happened here already in some cases. As I have said, I don't like genre limitations. Just music, and what inspired the most, it matters.

I hope and believe synthwave and spacesynth would somehow benefit each other, rather than the other drawns the other.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #23623
This topic has started two years ago, but it seems people have still same thoughts over the issue.

What matters, I guess, is that we should forget the "what you should do" attitude what comes to music. It might give the enough fresh air to focus on whatever music you love to do and sometimes things just happens without planning. Oldschool spacesynth have its place, and I truly hope it remains alongside with contemporary spacesynth styles.

Post Post #23624
Everdune wrote:

I like spacesynth because of the same reasons than you, especially because of its "melodic playground". What I like about synthwave is its darker mood and its nostalgic sound landscape. In general, synthwave seems to be more "neutral" what comes to melodies.

It seems synthwave is not purely like the music of 80's, but more like strongly 80's influenced music produced with new mixing techniques, like sidechain compression. But, at least the gated reverb is still used... Wink

To me, it would be interesting to mix the spacesynth and synthwave ideas together somehow, although that has a bit happened here already in some cases. As I have said, I don't like genre limitations. Just music, and what inspired the most, it matters.

I hope and believe synthwave and spacesynth would somehow benefit each other, rather than the other drawns the other.

yea that's why i dont like it much because their melodies dont 'tell me' much.
if its just for nostalgic sake id just load a few 80s synths and play some presets . i know what you mean about the darker mood , that cyberpunk , pos apocaliptic , dystopian environment and so on. its cool and again there are a few synthwaves i like but the genre itself is just scratching the surface.
for the first few times it feels nostalgic but then after getting into it that nostalgia just fades away so not much point here. :p

the best synthwave tracks imo its 80's trance.

Lifelike - So Electric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22X5X49VhM

Lazerhawk - Distress Signal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyEusKu44wc

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #23642
On the new EP "Level 2" Dreamtime is integrating spacesynth with synthwave....definitely level 2 of spacesynth, and probably the most "lucrative" way forward as synthwave has become quite big.....songs like Lauri's referral to, and partly adoption of, the sound of legends like Edgar Froese, could hit a larger audience; https://soundcloud.com/dreamtime-music/edgars-dream
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: