This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #24402
Lately I have read about how award winning pop producers like Max Martin and Savan Kotecha uses melodic math to create melodies in their hit songs. One formula that they often use is 'The Rule of Three' which you can read about at the following links:
http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-rule-of-three-and-music--audio-1389
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZsknx-6Sk
https://youtu.be/fmDywpb0NWw?t=144

I don't know if this is mostly useful in pop music or if this rule would be useful in spacesynth too. What do you think?
If you have found an interesting article about this subject then feel free to post a link in this thread.

Post Post #24403
damn! i don't need rules,the rules need me! Razz

Pho,Banh mi,Ha Long Bay...

Last edited by KoolKool on 2015-12-16, 13:40; edited 1 time in total

Master Droid

Post Post #24405
Interesting idea.

I find it very subjective though but nothing new. From the loud words of that article... well, It needs some experiments and detailed studies within fields of psychology. But, as far as i aware of, conservatories teach students of so called "Analysis of Musical Forms" subject which might cover this 3 rules subject (under other name).

Of course, you can find these rules inside spacesynth as well. Jabdah's main part comes in mind and other Koto/LD songs. Cool

Post Post #24406
Neuton Mouse wrote:

Of course, you can find these rules inside spacesynth as well. Jabdah's main part comes in mind and other Koto/LD songs. Cool

i have read the whole article,but i have hard time to understand all words because of my limited english...

Smile

Pho,Banh mi,Ha Long Bay...

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #24407
KoolKool, I will try to make a summary here. My english is far from good but I will give it a try. I hope you will understand it.

The music theory that is explained in these articles is about how to make a hit song that many people will like and remember. When these top producers are working they are disassembling their songs and analyse each part in a way that reminds of how a technician works. I found this subject very interesting and as it is about melodies I thought that more people in this genre would find it interesting as melodies are the most important part of spacesynth songs.

Here are some things that these producers are thinking about when they make their hit songs:

* Listeners can only actively focus on up three things at a time. Any more and they get lost.
Savan mentions that there shall not be more than three different melodies in a pop song.
If you listen to the examples in the first article you can hear
how the first two melodies reminds of each other and then the third one
takes another direction (to make it less predictable).
So the tip is to use just a few melodies in the song, and of course it is possible
to create a few variants of those melodies.

* Simplicity is the key if you like to make a hit song.
In the studio it is easy to add more layers to a song (arpeggios, pads, etc)
but to make a song clear for the listener you shall remove all parts that aren't necessary.
Remember to remove layers/tracks that are not easy to hear
as they will disturb the listener.
It is a quite simple rule: "If it's not easy to hear it, then remove it"

* The listener shall be able to recognize the song directly in the intro
and shouldn't need to listen until the chorus to understand which song it is.

* It is important to find a balance in a song.
If there are many notes played in both the verse and the chorus
then the bridge needs to be less intense, otherwise
it will be too much for the listener (i.e. the listener must be able to "breathe"
somewhere in the song).

I have many articles about this subject but unfortunately they are not in english, so in case someone find something interesting and useful on the web then please let us know.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #24420
Besides the pop genre I think that many of the hit songs in the instrumental synthesizer genres became hits because of their limited amount of (clear) melodies. Most people remember the melodies in hit songs like Axel F and Popcorn. Some people may think that those melodies sounds trivial, but I think that's much trickier to come up with melodies like that rather than making complicated and complex melody lines (also those complicated melodies will become difficult for the listener to remember).
It would be interesting to try that in a spacesynth song.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: