Reply to topic

Post Post #13004
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy oh no, oh yes... koto bass again popular topic like annual celebration... Razz
I GUESS... Its time to make it "sticky" on forum and also the junobass topic, instead of seeing these topics beginning in several instances with all possible different word combinations again.

Good luck, "how to create with VSTs... this and that bass" its like never-ending and all-time-popular topic besides with "junobass", but how man makes these things with a real thing, that information is shortest and already forgotten in these threads.

Its like trying to re-invent the wheel or making its own toothbrush. Very Happy Rolling Eyes isnt it ...marvellous?

[edit] forgot one thing: linndrum samples too as a sticky!

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #13005
SX001 wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy oh no, oh yes... koto bass again popular topic like annual celebration... Razz
I GUESS... Its time to make it "sticky" on forum and also the junobass topic, instead of seeing these topics beginning in several instances with all possible different word combinations again.

Where are you seeing another "kotobass" topic or discussion about its creating process? Smile

Quote:

Good luck, "how to create with VSTs... this and that bass" its like never-ending and all-time-popular topic besides with "junobass", but how man makes these things with a real thing, that information is shortest and already forgotten in these threads.

Anyone has freedom to tell how to create sound patches, use hardware or not. But none can expect someone BUYING hardware or software if there is other free alternatives available. Best sounding... with hardware you can get the exact result, but if it doesn't have to be 100% the same one can use whatever he/she wants. Why not, if it sounds similar and actually very very good?

Quote:
Its like trying to re-invent the wheel or making its own toothbrush. Very Happy Rolling Eyes isnt it ...marvellous?

I go for the idea that no limitations for sounds - go for the best fitting sounds for your tracks you can get. If junobass sounds best for the particular track, I don't see a point to avoid it. People use a lot "preset" patches anyway. To me ld or koto sounds are option like any other. And if one likes ld or koto sounds, thats fine. But lets try to keep this on topic so the actual idea of koto bass remains.

Post Post #13007
Friends, many virtual (and free) synths sounds like..... s%@&*. IMHO

For example, I can't truly emulate even MKS-50 (or MKS-70) or TX81Z on my modern VA (Nova, Microwave XT, Nord Modular G2X, Logic ES-1, ES-2 etc).
Sounds very different. Old synthesizers is more warm, punch and.... magic!

If you use old synth and modern together, it will be better.

Post Post #13008
ruslan, can you post a sample of your koto bass made with your synths? i'm thinking this will show to everybody the differences between the analog synths and the vsts and people will choose what they find more proper for their needs.

Post Post #13010
Ruslan wrote:
Friends, many virtual (and free) synths sounds like..... s%@&*. IMHO

"IMHO" was very important in this sentence, because you're probably referring to virtual synths like 10 years old. In my humble opinion, analog synth is analog, digital is digital, but it also depends what you call a
"good sound" - is analog sound the only one good for you, or perhaps "good" means hi quality, fat, neat, warm and subtle, not necessary analog.
Besides, most music around here is made not only with digital synths only, but also with virtual only. Do you mean that music on last compilations released sounds bad?

Ruslan wrote:
For example, I can't truly emulate even MKS-50 (or MKS-70) or TX81Z on my modern VA (Nova, Microwave XT, Nord Modular G2X, Logic ES-1, ES-2 etc).

Oh, perhaps this amount of cool gears you have is useless for you if all you try is to emulate? Come on, keep on listing all your great synths you've got!
Damn it, and I thought that it's not tool that is important, but man. Let people just make basslines they find good, no matter if it's made with software or hardware or analog, or it it sounds like this one or that one. Wanna play koto bass with synth1? No problem, it won't be exactly the same, but who f***ing cares? Does the level of similarity really matters? Does it define quality?

Ruslan wrote:
If you use old synth and modern together, it will be better.

What "better" you mean? Better is not adequate to amount of money you've put to purchase all your stuff. Quality music is something completely different.

Post Post #13014
"If you use old synth and modern together, it will be better." - better for authentic 80's SOUND, not for music.
Krizz, now you understand me? Wink Cool

Post Post #13016
Ruslan wrote:
"If you use old synth and modern together, it will be better." - better for authentic 80's SOUND, not for music.
Krizz, now you understand me? Wink Cool

Believe me, it wasn't obvious, the more that not everybody has 80's sound as the main priority.

Post Post #13017
Binary Ghost wrote:
According to the recent interview with Huib Schippers, you are going to need Casio CZ-101 to get the exact patch Michiel favoured.

Found a little demonstration of bass patches played from Casio CZ-1 synthesizer (which is more advanced than Casio CZ-101, but from the same CZ series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITAqDk5jY4&feature=related

That bass seems quite similar to what Michiel was playing. Casio CZ series synths, however, are using the "phase-distortion" synthesis, which is not an ordinary feature on most synthesizers and vsti. So, you probably need something 'advanced' to reach that Koto sounding using a different synths.

Take also look at this links if someone is interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_CZ_synthesizers
http://www.gforcesoftware.com/archive_cz101.php

Post Post #13022
See "Synthesizers for bass. Demo." topic.

Post Post #13024
Saul wrote:
SX001 wrote:

Where are you seeing another "kotobass" topic or discussion about its creating process? Smile

yes there is and even published patch for synth1 as Koto bass. More than 3 years ago.

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone has freedom to tell how to create sound patches, use hardware or not. But none can expect someone BUYING hardware or software if there is other free alternatives available. Best sounding... with hardware you can get the exact result, but if it doesn't have to be 100% the same one can use whatever he/she wants. Why not, if it sounds similar and actually very very good?

Quote:

I go for the idea that no limitations for sounds - go for the best fitting sounds for your tracks you can get. If junobass sounds best for the particular track, I don't see a point to avoid it. People use a lot "preset" patches anyway. To me ld or koto sounds are option like any other. And if one likes ld or koto sounds, thats fine. But lets try to keep this on topic so the actual idea of koto bass remains.

We all know that the question here was not just about how to make a bass sound, but closest replica for koto bass. If these VST tweaking fans would be just satisfied with first closest result then all would be already finished I guess?

About BUYING hardware... there is a point especially if having tweaked VSTs several months to get "that" analog synth preset which is already existing and dont getting it and still continuing to daydream about it.
The plusses are obvious in order to BUY hardware -- you will quit day and night dreaming about getting that preset and you release your energy for other purposes instead, and its really actual if these "how to make this and that 80s preset" are actual even now. You dont try to build your own soundcard with a goal to save 12 EUR and spend entire year for development? just from some point the invested time and energy is much more worth than the items price itself.

I try with other words: if not getting so close as wanted, its just to accept it or get a real thing, but
If someone will just want to be whining and argumentate "that JUNO-106 is overpriced to buy it, I will continue with VST tweaking even if I dont have that resultat even now" and STILL daydreaming and spending energy to get the closest emulation as possible to the real thing several next years... heh,
i dont get it.
Is it REALLY worth so much that energy and time for re-inventing the wheel?!
Ex cuse me, perhaps its better to get a plastic doll instead of real woman in bed (whatever argument it may be now what is pros for plastic doll)?
Smile

P.S.: my opinion is just to use VSTs what they are and hardware to use what they are instead of trying
to emulate them vice versa.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: