This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #15109
Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum but has visited this site from time to time during the years.
Finally I decided to register here and post a question:

Does anyone know what synths Koto used in the years until Michiel took over from Maiola?

I've been collecting old synths for about maybe two years and I would really like to be able to recreate the sounds from "Jabdah" and "Dragon's Legend". I think that the sounds heard in Jabdah are some of the best synth sounds I've ever heard.

There is plenty of information about Michiel van der Kay and what synths he used but I haven't been able to find information about synths used by Anfrando Maiola, so does anyone know?

Thanks!

Post Post #15115
Quote:
Interview with Real KOTO Anfrando Maiola
"
"
"
Q. Which music instruments did you play in the 80’s and which do you play now?
A. In the 80’s I played :tr 808 – Sequencer mc 500 – bass line – Oberheim – Lambda – Korg – and now – Virus – Nordlead – Supernova – Drums sampler Akai 3200 – Air base 99

http://www.dragonslairfans.com/dragonslairsection/dragonslair/music_vid/kotointerview.htm

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15116
Oh, thanks for the link to the interview. Very interesting, lots of new information I've never heard of before. When the interview was made? We have had some plans to interview Anfrando too...

Post Post #15120
Yes I've seen this interview... I even read it before I posted this question.
And as you can see the interview doesn't answer the question. It just says that he uses the brands Roland, Korg and Oberheim.
As you know they have made quite a lot of different synthesizers. So my question remains.

Ok, maybe it seems to tell us that he used the Korg Lambda (if I interpret the text correctly), even if I find that odd since I know how the Lambda sounds.

Post Post #15438
andgalf wrote:
Yes I've seen this interview... I even read it before I posted this question.
And as you can see the interview doesn't answer the question. It just says that he uses the brands Roland, Korg and Oberheim.
As you know they have made quite a lot of different synthesizers. So my question remains.

Ok, maybe it seems to tell us that he used the Korg Lambda (if I interpret the text correctly), even if I find that odd since I know how the Lambda sounds.

Hej! A rather late answer but.. I really think that the brain behind the original Koto sound was Stefano Cundari, now dead unfortunately. RIP. I think he's the one who knows all that questions really..

I have allways loved the songs "Visitors" "Jabdah" "Dragons Legend" since i first heard them. So full of dynamic and well produced. Dragons L is a true italo/spacesynth masterpiece.

Maiola ha's said that Jabdah's bassline is from a Minimoog and TB-303 !!? He also said Prophet-5 + TB-303. ehh.. anyway.. both synth's are exellent for the real Koto-bass.

Post Post #15442
The original Koto bass used in Jabdah is a slightly tweaked factory preset from the Casio CZ-101 synth AFAIK.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15448
Prometheus wrote:
The original Koto bass used in Jabdah is a slightly tweaked factory preset from the Casio CZ-101 synth AFAIK.

Wasn't that the bass created by Huib Schippers (used in "Reaction") and adopted (+ tweaked) by Michiel van der Kuy when he took over Koto?

Post Post #15449
Ah, yes you're right Pål.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15462
Quote:
Wasn't that the bass created by Huib Schippers

It was created by Edwin. Huib answered like this in the interview
( http://www.spacesynth.net/Interview/HuibSchippers ):

"A very nice detail to tell you is that the main bassline sound comes from the Casio CZ-101 synthesizer again (sound created by Edwin van der Laag). When mixing this track in Michiel’s studio again, Michiel fell in love with that particular sound. Much later, when Michiel took over the Koto project, he decided to buy the Casio Synth from Edwin, just for this one sound. Michiel has been using this sound on almost every Koto track since then."

Post Post #15844
Thanks for the replies!

The bass sound is however the sound that I'm least impressed by in those songs. But I'm not going to whine. Thanks for all the help guys!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: