This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #15407
Greetings to everyone on the site!

I am a new member here, 19 years old, and big fan of electronic music in general. My first contact with it was probably the game and intro music of various titles on the Amiga 500 & 600, one of my first and favorite computer systems, and that probably set the path for me liking this music later in life. I only recently actually discovered spacesynth as a genre, as I missed the era when it was popular (my parents told me it was played somewhat in clubs here in the early 90s) and after that it seems the radio and people here forgot about it. I got some classic rock CD's from a friend and noticed something about these recordings was generally much more pleasing to listen to and exciting, that is how I got introduced to the concept of dynamic range and why I didn't find modern music very fun to listen to and it sort of became tiring after a while...

That is when I decided to explore music from the 80s and early 90s, because that was before the "loudness wars"... I listened to a lot of old-school trance (and goa/psy which is another genre I also love), then EBM/industrial, some synthpop/futurepop and eventually I discovered spacesynth as well.

I think the first tune I heard was from Laserdance album "Fire on Earth", and my impression was "This is amazing, where has it been all my life?". That is when I started to explore the genre fully and I have to say I really love that whole album, and in fact most of the Laserdance songs, and from the Proxyon project probably my favorite track is "Space Travellers". Some of the newer spacesynth from Macrocosm, mindXpander, Jan Schipper etc. has also got some really fantastic songs on there, for sure.

This summer I felt the need to experiment in creating my own music, I wanted to try and recreate some of the classic sounds in these beautiful tracks. The tutorials on the site have proven to be very helpful for that, as well as the classic samples. Unfortunately I have no musical training and have never played a real instrument, certainly not electronic, so the whole concept of synthesis was rather new to me and it is mostly from tutorials and experimenting that I have found how to synthesize kicks, basses, leads and so on (though I still have much to learn). Then of course making it all fit together, composition, intros, transitions, melody, harmony, etc.

For now I am using a demo version of Renoise along with whatever free VST's I found online, however something about the workflow is not sitting well with me. To twist virtual knobs with a mouse while staring at a screen and trying to compose music, somehow... hmm. I feel that I am much more of a hardware guy, like if I had a nice Juno in front of me and I could work hands-on, turn knobs, play on a real keyboard and jam along with no other distractions, I would be much more creative/productive, but due to being in college I can't think about hardware synths for now.

Still, this is something in progress from yesterday afternoon, maybe it is interesting to someone Very Happy

http://soundcloud.com/psyostasis/spacesynth-attempt-1

Have fun!

Post Post #15408
some oldish like* but u have to put down the sound of the cowbell. itīs to loud. some ld bass..and shakers*

Master Droid

Post Post #15411
Quote:
To twist virtual knobs with a mouse while staring at a screen and trying to compose music, somehow... hmm. I feel that I am much more of a hardware guy, like if I had a nice Juno in front of me and I could work hands-on, turn knobs, play on a real keyboard and jam along with no other distractions, I would be much more creative/productive, but due to being in college I can't think about hardware synths for now.

If you're looking for something that's maybe cheaper and more readily available than a hardware synth, you could try getting a MIDI-keyboard. They're not the greatest for jamming, because there's a little lag between when you press the keys and when the sound plays, but they can be nice for testing chords and melodies and such. And then you can also set the knobs on the keyboard to control certain parameters. Depending on how much space is a concern, you could get a 2 or 4-octave one (24 or 48 keys).

You've got the bare bones of a track, which is a start, but it needs more "meat"--better melody, harmonies, multiple parts, etc.

Post Post #15414
TD Mak wrote:
Quote:
To twist virtual knobs with a mouse while staring at a screen and trying to compose music, somehow... hmm. I feel that I am much more of a hardware guy, like if I had a nice Juno in front of me and I could work hands-on, turn knobs, play on a real keyboard and jam along with no other distractions, I would be much more creative/productive, but due to being in college I can't think about hardware synths for now.

If you're looking for something that's maybe cheaper and more readily available than a hardware synth, you could try getting a MIDI-keyboard. They're not the greatest for jamming, because there's a little lag between when you press the keys and when the sound plays, but they can be nice for testing chords and melodies and such. And then you can also set the knobs on the keyboard to control certain parameters. Depending on how much space is a concern, you could get a 2 or 4-octave one (24 or 48 keys).

You've got the bare bones of a track, which is a start, but it needs more "meat"--better melody, harmonies, multiple parts, etc.

That is in fact the part that I struggle with. I read up on some music theory books in my spare time, but it doesn't do me much good when I still have to type in notes with letters on the keyboard. I cannot learn how to play that way because the keys are too small and difficult to press, plus you only really have one octave.
I feel a MIDI keyboard would push me a long way, at least then I would have some sense of notes and scales, and would be able to learn melodies and record them into the DAW live. Knobs and sliders would definitely help as well...I don't want to have to touch a mouse when I'm synthesizing.
That is definitely going to be a thing I will look at investing in as soon as I get some money together, thanks.

As far as synths go, the ones being sold here seem to mostly be samplers and various "preset" synths, meaning they come with about 250 sounds and there doesn't seem to be much more you can do with them, there is no OSC section or anything that would indicate you can make your own sounds. What is the point of that?

The ones that are actually intended for synthesis seem to be extremely expensive, sadly Sad
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: