This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Master Droid

Post Post #1005
I'm waiting for this movie to hit theaters in the summer here in Finland.. I've never read the book (I don't really like reading books that much), so it's all new for me Smile

Post Post #1008
Gees! Read the damn book! Very Happy You'll love it!
Not sure if you have to read the book before you see the movie, but still. Might be a good think because there are many names and strange places to get familiar with.

I wonder if the movie only will cover the first book. Remember that it's "a triology in five volumes", which basically says it all Smile

It'll go up on the 27th of Juli here in Sweden. Patiently waiting.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #1014
*raises his hand*

I haven't read the book either. It's been on my to-do list for looong time. Maybe this summer.

Master Droid

Post Post #1016
Hitchhiker's Guide is definitely a must-read. It's friggin' hilarious. Read it! Now! This millisecond!

Assuming nothing unexpected happens, I'm planning to see the movie next Saturday. Reading the book first will probably give you a better sense of what's happening, although you may then be disappointed when you see the movie given that movies are never quite as good as the books they're based on.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #1018
TD Mak wrote:
Reading the book first will probably give you a better sense of what's happening, although you may then be disappointed when you see the movie given that movies are never quite as good as the books they're based on.

.. and this raises a question: how do you compare them? Books and movies are two different art forms and have their own "rules". Books always leave more to imagination.

Master Droid

Post Post #1019
Yeah... that's a good point. I guess people usually judge movies by the books they're based on because the books are the originals, the stories people are loyal to. The other thing about books is that you can fit more events and details in them, while movies can only last about a max of three hours.

Master Droid

Post Post #1044
Well, I saw it last night. If you disregard the book, it's very funny. If you regard the book, it's still great. I'll try not to ruin anything, so I'll keep this short. Some of the better parts of the movie included the part with the sperm whale and the main song, "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish", where dolphins happily sing of the imminent destruction of the earth. I was unhappy about some of the things they changed, the most major of which was the added love relationship between Arthur and Trillian, although even the parts they changed generally kept the Douglas Adams spirit. I also think they did a good job with inserting excerpts from the Hitchhiker's Guide every once and so often.

One final a bit of advice—stay through to the end of the credits.

Master Droid

Post Post #1046
I suppose Star Wars III got this movie postponed here if Finland. But will go to see this when possible Smile

Post Post #1258
the Finnish premier was originally scheduled for 22nd July... so it was Sin City that delayed it Smile
I saw the movie in Romania, though... already in June!

Although the american premier was in April... but let's not talk about that....
The movie is great! Definitely a must-see! i'm gonna go watch it again when it comes to Finland.
Watching the movie, though, I felt sorry for those who hadn't read the book... the movie follows the first book only. But there are links to future books. Some mysteries that remain unsolved until the future books... like for example

***SPOILER ZONE WARNING***

like for example what the whale was doing on top of Magrathea... read the third book and you'll know Smile

***SPOILER ZONE ENDS HERE***

hehe... so read the books, people! It's worthwhile!

Post Post #1263
I've just watched the movie, too. Yes, definitelly it's worth to see. I like it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: