This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17057
Hey!

I have decided to challenge myself. I'll be posting about this project in the coming weeks on my blog at www.faroutmusic.net

Here is the first blog entry:

Lately I have been battling with productivity. After finishing my album 'Farout' a few years ago I thought I had learnt to produce music quicker and kill bad musical ideas without hesitation.

However, that's not exactly the case. And it bugs me because my free time is limited. When I have time and energy to produce music (and nowadays it feels there's never enough of that) I want to have results. But usually I just fiddle with unimportant stuff, try new synths or find myself surfing on Internet after 10 mins.

This week on my way from work to home I was listening to Technological Mind by Laserdance. While listening I recalled an interview where the producer Michiel van der Kuy said that he produced this album in one week. I think it somewhat shows in music because the tracks are recycling the same sounds and the arrangements feel like a lot of copy and paste was used.

Nevertheless, I think Technological Mind is a pretty solid album and there certainly have been worse moments in the history of Laserdance. This sparked an idea. Could I produce an album in such short time? Usually it takes me a few days to a few weeks to produce one track so I would seriously have to cut corners and focus on things that really matter.

I'm up for a challenge.

Instead of working all-day for one week I'll be giving myself 70 hours to produce an album of at least 45 minutes of music. Why 70 hours and not just a week? This is mostly because I have to take care of my day job and other priorities. I mean, I can't say to my boss and gf that "hey, I'll be locked in my room for the next week - please don't disturb me". So it can take a few weeks or a few months to finish the project. But - I only have 70 hours of work time and I'll be counting every minute.

This is not a statement that music should be produced quickly or that it's a merit of its own. I personally encourage to spend time on details and challenge yourself with new things. After all, majority of people only care about the music - not how it was made or how quickly it was made. This project is my personal test to challenge myself. It can be a total disaster which I'll always be embarassed of - or I'll find myself turning ideas to actual sounds quicker and learn to cut the crap.

The music will probably be very spacesynth type stuff but I don't want myself to narrow it down too much beforehand. I will have to keep the tracks pretty minimalistic because time doesn't allow me to work on complicated layers of sound.

On this blog I'll be reporting my progress. After the album is finished it will be a free download. Wish me luck.

Post Post #17058
I really like this idea. Actually I was thinking about something similar (considering the amount of time it took me to finish last PS album), not in terms of limited time, but something that would result in really short time of producing whole album. But it's not about me here.

I wonder how you're gonna count time spent on production?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17059
Where's the LIKE button Excited

I can relate to what you're saying. I believe in your project; setting a strict scheme and time-frame may very well exactly bring forth razor sharp focus and determination, as does simply setting a goal to commit to....sharing it with others strengthens and puts a spin to all of the above Happy God this was good news!

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17060
Very nice idea. I wish all the best for your challenge! Bulls Eye

Post Post #17062
perhaps Lauri needs some kind of chess-clock with 2..3 buttons where the left clock is for arranging,and right one is for all other activities. So its easy to start-stop the time for counting and to see also the cumulative time for other activities on free time.

?

Master Droid

Post Post #17063
Wooha, this is something. I'd say musical madness!
This is very exhausting i assume.

Usually it takes more time to do at least one track but whole album... Lauri you got our attention Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17064
Thanks for the support guys!

Krizz wrote:
I wonder how you're gonna count time spent on production?

There's a plugin for everything Wink Check out HOFA 4U ProjectTime. I'll be also using an Excel sheet where I write down how much I have spent time each day.

Post Post #17066
LauriT wrote:
'll be also using an Excel sheet where I write down how much I have spent time each day.

Don't spend too much time on charts Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17067
Yayy, here we go.

2 hours used, 68 hours left

Post Post #17077
Nice to read about pugins etc, Thanks for sharing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: