This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #17249
Hi everyone! My name is Sarah, and I live 33 miles due west of Launchpad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. (You can draw a straight line!) More on that in a minute, but first I want to say a few things about my affinity for spacesynth.

I have always loved 80's electronic music, but I until a few years ago I did not know that it actually had a proper name and an entire genre of its own. In summer 2009, I decided to do a Google search for a music video I'd seen years earlier called 'Supersonic Electronic'. I liked the tune and was disappointed to find out that it was only a spoof. However, I found the YouTube video for it, and after watching it I clicked on one of the videos in the 'Suggested Videos' side column. That video was Laserdance's 'No Escape'. I listened to it, and I was hooked. Gradually I began to listen to more and more spacesynth songs, until eventually it basically became all I ever listened to anymore. Today I rarely listen to anything except spacesynth, Italo Disco, etc.

All of this is especially important, because I know without a doubt that spacesynth played a role in my becoming completely obsessed with the U.S. Space Program. When I first was introduced to spacesynth, I happened to be enrolled in an evening Astronomy class which you had to drive a couple of miles on a tiny winding dirt road in the middle of a dense forest which, let me tell you, 'No Escape' was the perfect driving soundtrack for. I liked this combination of real-world space study and listening to spacesynth, because it was imagination fuel.

I moved to Central Florida a few years later to complete my B.A. Degree in Computer Art. Here, I unexpectedly grew quite interested in what was going on at the Kennedy Space Center. Back then there were still shuttle launches, and during this time I noticed once again what an inspiring combination spacesynth and real-world space events was, only this time it was exponential because the scope was so much larger. I'd get excited about shuttle launches, listen to spacesynth to set the mood, and get MORE excited about shuttle launches, and so forth. After about 8 months of this, I began to realize that all I ever thought about anymore was space, and so I decided to make it my career goal to do work for the U.S. Space Program. (Most ideally using my creative talents, but honestly I'll feel fulfilled in any position where I can play some small roll in helping space exploration.)

Now I regularly interface with some really important (and historic) people who either worked or still work for NASA, and I'm close friends with many of them. (Including a Shuttle Launch Director, who took me out to lunch once.) I'm working on some space shuttle illustrations that will be laser etched into a huge granite monument to the space shuttle program. Additionally, most recently I met Bill Nye, who decided that I should start a new chapter of The Planetary Society for the Kennedy Space Center. (Can you believe The Planetary Society doesn't already have a presence here!?) I am currently working on this, and if the scope of the public's interest is as large as I think it will be, it is going to be an amazing development. I even have word that a few astronauts might be interested...

So anyway, all that to say, spacesynth has been an integral part of reinforcing my imagination and getting me where I am today. So THANK YOU, all of you spacesynth and Italo artists!!

My favorite overall artist would have to be Marco Rochowski, although Dreamtime is a close second. My favourite single song is Mark Vera's 'Star Orion'. (A year ago I had an interview for my dream job at the HQ building at the Kennedy Space Center --'Star Orion' was what I listened to driving around the grounds of Space Center that day. It pretty much sums up the excitement I felt.)

Totally off-topic, but Canaveral National Seashore is beautiful. 30 miles of pristine untouched beach....and the launchpads looming over you as you swim. Man, talk about an amazing place.

Post Post #17250
Welcome and enjoy Your stay. Nice to read such real spacenews in this morning here. Feel free to write more. Really nice reading.

Well well, from now on here are two Sarah named members. Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17252
Hi Sarah and welcome.

That was a fascinating read. Please share more if you feel like it. Funnily enough, just yesterday I was watching some videos of Bill Nye the Science Guy. Smart man and a voice of reason.

If you have some space related art to show us please do.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17253
Just visited your website, cool stuff Smile

Post Post #17256
Thanks! Glad you guys liked reading my wall of text. Smile

Spacesynth and Italo Disco are virtually unheard of here in America. I think everybody must be crazy. But even though it's unheard of, whenever people ride in my car, they are always sure to comment that the music playing is really interesting, and they like it. Maybe it just needs some publicity over here or something. It seems to me that 80's stuff is coming back -fashion and music, etc. My generation is getting older and becoming nostalgic.

On a side note, I am sad, because my favorite spacesynth radio station just went off the air --Spacedream Radio. I do also listen to Laserbeat and Italo Power et. all, but Spacedream was my favorite because of their selection. Oh well, such is life.

Post Post #17257
Hi Sarah*

take a look at this: a great spacesynth radiostation for you
http://laut.fm/laserbeat-fm

Wavestation

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #17259
Welcome on board Sarah! I played "No Escape" and some italo ++, while talking about your story, on 'Magic Beat' radio show yesterday, see link below. Thanks for sharing it, we share taste and 'destiny' Very Happy

Post Post #17260
Thanks, Wavestation! I do listen to Laserbeat quite often. Good radio station.

Wow, thanks Italopal! I am honored. I think that's the second time you've talked about me on your radio show. I sure wish I could understand Norwegian. Razz But music is a universal language, and I am enjoying the music!

Post Post #17261
Italopal --what is the name of the second to last song on your 30/11/2012 broadcast?

Master Droid

Post Post #17262
Oh my God. You are so cool. That's really all I have to say.

Quote:
Additionally, most recently I met Bill Nye, who decided that I should start a new chapter of The Planetary Society for the Kennedy Space Center.

Super cool!

- Another American spacesynth fan named Sarah
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: