This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #18130
I've noticed there is less spacesynth being produced recently. There is less talk in ss.net about spacesynth (it's difficult to talk about something that isn't there), I also have a feeling there is less announcements of forthcoming spacesynth releases (if any), even most active Space Sound Records seems to be quiet nowadays.

Maybe it's coincidence, but it began since we've started to talk about synthwave, there seems to be more interest in this genre in our community, there are a lot of new synthwave releases, especially on Bandcamp. Drakmin (as J&A) started to produce tracks in this style, I also admit I feel tempted to do so.

Is spacesynth fueling out for the sake of synthwave, just like it used to in 90's for the sake of techno? Or perhaps it's too early to state so? But if it's really how things are, perhaps it's time for change of spacesynth.net into synthmusic.net or something if we ought to survive?

Post Post #18133
Huh..interesting post.
Iím not sure synthwave is the follower but itís pretty obvious for everybody that spacesynth in itís pure form is slowly dying. I also noticed a lack of interest in the last year (or should I say in the last 2 years?) from both sides: artists and fans. Perfectly understandable in a way because labels reduced or even quit releasing new spacesynth albums , most of the young artists from middle 2000ís grew up , got married, made kids and have now other activities than just working months for free albums releases. Also, I would say some of them felt the need to evoluate from trying to recreate LD ĖKoto sound over and over to something else, the call of the new horizons.. I guess thatís in human nature. Perhaps one direction can be considered synthwave, which sounds really interesting and also creates new standards in creativity. Perhaps italo is a bit more challenging for spacesynth artists as working with singers is a really satisfying thing for most of the composers/producers.
Howerver, it would be nice to hear some other people points of view too. I mean people really involved in this area that somehow disappeared in the last period or became very passive.

Post Post #18134
vanello wrote:
Iím not sure synthwave is the follower

No, it's not. It was developed in parallel to spacesynth. It's really interesting how two very similar things can coexist in parallel without knowing about each other... But it seems that there is much more fuel in synthwave community, since it's more mundane, less space-oriented, thus it gains audience made of ordinary people. Leave alone synthwave's got attention of Hollywood (Drive, Tron: Legacy), while spacesynth did not. We... well, are alienated, introverted to some extent. It is a requirement to get into spacesynth.
Only strong will survive and I have a feeling synthwave is stronger by now.

vanello wrote:
Also, I would say some of them felt the need to evoluate from trying to recreate LD ĖKoto sound over and over to something else, the call of the new horizons..

Actually, this process started in first half of 00's. I believe the lack of will to progress was the nail to the coffin of spacesynth. Yes, I'm afraid spacesynth is about to die... no, let me use a different word - go cryosleep soon. Again.
Genre MUST gain new audience if it wants to go on. Spacesynth is too hermetic. I love it, but it is naive to believe artist can go on making music for himself, for his own satisfaction, just for passion. It works only for first few years. Now, I hardly see any new audience yearning for new spacesynth releases. Artists are doing it for themselves rather than for fans. Take a look at ss.net group on Facebook - it's flooded with better or worse quality YT videos posted by artists trying to find feedback, with hardly anyone commenting.

Master Droid

Post Post #18137
Ok, i've been thinking about writing yet another opinion post but instead i will ask - what do you suggest, any solution? In practical aspect of course.

One thing i'm sure about - in order for genre to progress, its dwellers(or anyone) must stand up and go instead of spending years of deliberating about that.

I recall words of one of our members, extravagantly bright one, who claimed spacesynth to be "aging" Smile. Theoretical solution to spacesynth revival would be increasing interest of younger generation IMO. Personally, i don't know any fans who is below 18. And i doubt, judging by mainstream music, that there is at least small chance to attract em to this genre. But who knows, time is running and the further it goes the less i hear new innovations through car radio. Perhaps, there is hope...

Post Post #18141
Neuton Mouse wrote:
Ok, i've been thinking about writing yet another opinion post but instead i will ask - what do you suggest, any solution? In practical aspect of course.

Spacesynth must evolve. More evolving artists means more influences between them, and it drives the evolution even further. That's how is works in all music genres. But for spacesynth, it's already too late, I guess. Besides many artists still don't feel like a problem.
The only way to get this through is to widen the doors of spacesynth.net, to include styles like synthwave, demo scene, chiptune, all 80's influenced computer and electronic music. The only chance there is, is to get those people here, so they hear and accept spacesynth as a peer. But we will not do this alone, I'd suggest to get in touch with communities and convince significant persons there to become part of our team and our team part of their. Maybe even go that far to fuse some significant synthwave community site with spacesynth.net and create new entity.
It's difficult, I know. I actually have no idea about synthwave or demoscene communities.

Post Post #18142
Actually I've put it into reconsideration, and I must apologize for what I've seemed to impute - that I blame other artists for what's happening. I have no idea if more progress on the scene would make it stronger, this is only my assumption. You have right to think differently. After all, spacesynth was revived due to sentiment to all those classic LD and Koto albums, and there were people who wanted to get this feeling back, both fans and artists. No one can be blamed for that.
But, in my opinion, it worked only for a moment, moment of revelation, excitement. Now, we're gonna watch it drowning, or do something to save what's left to save.

Master Droid

Post Post #18143
Well, we ain't got no censorship - such delicate attitude and phrase about right to think differently clash with each other ; )

Revived or not, same methods won't be effective as it was before. Like Ancient Roman army - it was great because it was open for everything new: it was adaptive and had dynamic form. I don't mean it as a fight, more like example of survival. As for artists, i think they should try to move aside those old methods, that spent stone axe, and start using imagination for creating new things instead of using same over and over again. It was cool many years ago, it became boring recently and now it's irritating.

Post Post #18144
I think spacesynth concept needs a reformulation. Itís about the clichť-istic formulas that become boring not the concept itself. Bacause as long as people will dream about space they will continue to be pasionated by all its elements including synthesizer music in cosmic maniere. After all, thatís what should be spacesynth music about. Too much isolation in the classic forms is like running in a circle. You get tired of it and nothing new shows up for you because all the time you have the same views.
And, who can establish the boundaries of space synth music anyway? Fans? There are only a few left to be active, thay become really sleepy. Labels? They disappeared . Artists ? Their creativity can mix together all kind of influences and they can invent new genres but without fans or labels help they are not motivated.
Solution for getting spacesynth out of the grave?
Reunion of all important spacesynth artists under one cupola. Like a Space Mafia, if you want. In shows around Europe. With laser beams, visuals and dancers with great space costumes and all those cosmic scenery. And every artist tohave his own little moment of ďgloryĒ but what should really count would be the show concept as a whole.
Ever been to a white sensation party? Why not people going on a space show ? if done well, the whole concept can be mind blowin. And itís not about the music and its clicheistic bass formulas 1/16 or 1/8 and its dusty sound, is about promoting the whole concept in a new maniere that has never done before. People will not go to see Protonic Storm or Neuton Mouse, they will go to see a global space show with all the space stuff. But definatley they will listen to PS or NM there and will become more interested in their activity for the future.
Thereís enough space in the space for everybody. Showing passivity to people who make music in this genre is like we accept there Ďs nothing else to be done anymore with spacesynth. And, unfortunately, Iím pretty sure weíll fall into that direction judging on how things are going..

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #18145
Hey,

yeah, nothing much happening here, but I think many people would like it to. I know several die-hard fans who haven't even registered here after all these years.....I won't be the one to judge, but there's something about the human nature and free-rides.....let the others do the work blah blah blah...

Allow me to shed some lights of hope here. Two months ago Mark in Spacesound Recs sent me this mix, featuring new stuff from the label: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zx8tfm
Yes I'm busy with kid and all, and am a retired droid. I'm kind of stumped why these news haven't been published here, and thereby created some debate, but alas...

Zyx records have, for the first time in 20 years, featured new spacesynth in their italo compilations. Rochowski, Galaxy Hunter, Synthesis, Dreamtime, Galactic Warriors....they've all been featured in 2013 on a ZYX compilation, which potentially reaches a much wider audience than SSR. There's still potential, may the force be with you!

I must say, the community took a big hit when Hypersound stopped/ "was stopped"....there were many things to talk about back then. Still SSR keep releasing Space Holidays, last year a splendid, double album, and the mix bears witness for another gift this year Smile

Everdune soon has his new album ready, Spacesound says they have more than one spacesynth album coming up......

SOO, if your head would spin merely by the thought of an album from let's say "debutants" like Staffan ÷hman, Mark Vera, Prometheus, Jukke Lundqvist, ......then SPEAK UP and CONTRIBUTE Aliens from Outerspace
Did I forget to mention that a double-album from Marco Rochowski is rumored?

Post Post #18146
vanello wrote:

Solution for getting spacesynth out of the grave?
Reunion of all important spacesynth artists under one cupola. Like a Space Mafia, if you want. In shows around Europe. With laser beams, visuals and dancers with great space costumes and all those cosmic scenery. And every artist tohave his own little moment of ďgloryĒ but what should really count would be the show concept as a whole.
Ever been to a white sensation party? Why not people going on a space show ? if done well, the whole concept can be mind blowin.

For such enterprise, a lot of money must be spent. I don't suppose that even Zyx (assuming, or rather dreaming, their forthcoming compilation will be extraordinary success and they are ready to pay for a show) is wealthy enough to sponsor a party like Sensation.
But I agree, every way to promote is good, and series of parties would be awesome.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: