This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #18147
Yeah I agree, we can take it down a notch from Sensation ha ha.
However a big party is in downtown Stockholm in mid-february, with several Italo acts performing. I hoped Retronic Voice would come, I saw Galaxy Hunter is attending at least. Here is the event on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/211594365669132/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

I think the labels should be harder on promoting towards this kind of events. Especially taking into consideration that the ZYX - compilations have been out for a good while already btw:
http://melodymaker.nl/467-zyx-italo-disco-new-generation-vol-2.html (most spacesynth)
http://melodymaker.nl/477-zyx-italo-disco-new-generation-vol-3.html

Dreamtime's FM mix of "Among the stars" was made especially for that compilation.

Alas, I'm the only one who has been promoting such events around here, but really don't have time any more. I will take time to go to Stockholm though. Will I see any more space people there? As close to Sensation as we come I reckon Very Happy

I forgot to mention that Vanello is featured with an Italo song on volume 2 above!

Master Droid

Post Post #18148
Awesome! This is something we all able to materialize. (Well, most of us). If everything will be ok from my side - i'm in.

Edit:

About that syntwave: feels like "spacewave" uprising soon. Would be nice to hear cross overs.

Last edited by Neuton Mouse on 2013-11-13, 15:44; edited 1 time in total

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #18150
My understanding is that synthwave is a very broad term. It seems to just mean 80's inspired synth music and influenced by lots of genres including italo. Spacesynth is kind of stranded on an island that has its own rules. I'm sure these rules that we have hanged onto have pushed some people away.

We should establish closer ties with the synthwave community and bring our own space-inspired ideas into the mix. We are connected in so many ways. Classic synth music is alive and well and we should take advantage of that.

Btw, there's now a Wiki entry for synthwave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthwave

Post Post #18151
Aaaand there is italo disco issue... I will probably call down a storm now, but I'm in great doubt if close association, kept INTENTIONALLY for long years, of spacesynth and italo disco made us good. It's obvious that spacesynth originates from italo, but for all those years italo and spacesynth are treated very alike. It was ok in early 90's, since italo was still popular back then. But I have a feeling that ever since 2000's this association does harm to spacesynth genre. Italo, whether you like it or not, is considered cheesy, shoddy and cheap by non-italo fans, and what's most important, it's still a disco music. Spacesynth is not disco, I will insist on this even if I had to tear all my hairs out. Spacesynth was aimed into electronic music, music to listen (or drive) to and in these terms is closer to synthwave or demoscene. Italo, sustained by devoted fans in number enough to feed it for so many years, ate its tail for trying to be the same for so many years, and dried out eventually. I don't know if it's still popular or not, and I don't give a damn to be honest. Look at covers of those Zyx compilarions mentioned by Italopal: they are, simply put, horrible, and anyone with sane taste of music will stay away without giving a small listen. Three-coloured woman lips reminiscing italian flag, WTF.??? How far into tastelessness it can go?
Synthwave (electrosynth, retro electro or whatever you name it) is something new. Originates from 80's music, indeed, but is redefined, and what's most important, it's not "supported" by stronger, older genre that keeps synthwave on a leash short enough to not let it have enough freedom, independence, like a slave. Italo is not the gravy train I want spacesynth to be pulled by, since the leash italo keeps spacesynth on is a disgrace. We can do FAR MORE than contemporary italo. It's just time to grow up and leave father's home, live on our own, take a risk, but have a chance to win a lot more than we do now, instead of faking cheers on every breadcrumb falling from the master's table.

Just listening to Power Glove's "Motorcycle Cop". Give it a listen and tell me I'm wrong. It's a perfect example, along with Kavinsky's "Nightcall", how 80's-influenced synth music should EVOLVE.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #18152
Yea, definitely many reasons combined led into this lack of action in spacesynth world. One problem is there aren't enough new artists interested in this style, and as Lauri stated, many musicians doesn't like the rules or limitations of this genre. Even though some artists have done splendid examples about how breaking rules is allowed and music can still be spacesynth, it still remains as an imago-kind of issue... there I kind of agree with Krizz that this genre shouldn't be known only as instrumental italo disco. Spacesynth should be more evolved than just instrumental italo. No, I'm not saying italo isn't allowed. We just shouldn't limit this genre too much. Look outside, there is a wide world out there...

Btw. "Synth dance" as a term sounds more about italo thing to me, where did that term? "Spacesynth" to me is more-listenable than danceable music. But, as we know, it seems everyone seems to understand spacesynth the way they like... Smile

Last edited by Everdune on 2013-11-13, 22:00; edited 1 time in total

Post Post #18153
quote "... Kavinsky's "Nightcall", how 80's-influenced synth music should EVOLVE...."

Evolve ??? where is the evolution in this track ???
It's a sort of half speed (and 1/4 talented if not less) Human league lyrics and synth sequence....shame....

Post Post #18154
NON MUSIC MAKER HERE.....my 2 cents.....Is SS dying? well yes , and no....maybe the problem is with most people (myself included) on this site KNOW SS...we know what is - and we know what isnt....and if it isnt, then its called out, and quite rightly - this is a SS site deadicated to SS....there are so many variantions these days with music like synthpop, synthwave, future pop, new wave, space wave, electronic, trance, ect ect ect, yet so many of these music styles cross over in some way....will SS die? well if no one makes it, yes...and no...what has been made will always live on, it wont cease to exist.

Or maybe on a provocative note, are we all trying to create the genius of MVK who in my view practically MADE SS and come up short 50% or more of the time? He was a genius, go back listen the stuff he made, album after album after album....always so much great mind blowing music...has there been any album made since he left to rival one of his? If your honest?

Post Post #18155
ST Arts wrote:
One problem is there aren't enough new artists interested in this style

I have a feeling that many electronic artists, who potentially would get into spacesynth, simply got scared off because it's so close to italo disco.

ST Arts wrote:
there I kind of agree with Krizz that this genre shouldn't be known only as instrumental italo disco

Wait a minute, weren't we taking about it over ten years ago? Damn...

ST Arts wrote:
No, I'm not saying italo isn't allowed.

No one can be told not to imitate italo music with no vocal. The problem is that without realizing, how important for genre's evolution is striking a thick line between italo and spacesynth, artists and the genre stuck in a blind alley. We had 13 years, and where are we now? We're simply running in circles, like a circus horse, which sees and knows only one path.

I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated watching synthwave music gaining popularity, while it is spacesynth that could have been there if it was bold enough. It's cannot be said that synthwave gained incredible popularity in short period of time, like for example dubstep did, but even this single but strong impulse, like featuring synthwave in Hollywood movie, is significant enough to push the genre into a quite new level, attracting a lot of talented artists to it, and even if it's over, amount of potential synthwave has right now is enough for it for self-fueled progress.
And we... we will watch spacesynth rot. The concept of italo-based instrumental music is worn out. Spacesynth, if remembered, will always be an italo baby, a wannabe kid always covered in italo shadow. Featured on italo compilations as a placeholder, curious experiment of italo community, depending on italo will.

Italo gave birth to spacesynth, italo will now strangle it to death.

Last edited by Krizz on 2013-11-14, 0:42; edited 1 time in total

Post Post #18156
snedgy wrote:
If your honest?

To be honest, if this is the opinion as a spacesynth fan... we're doomed. Not like it's something I haven't been talking about all day long already.

Post Post #18157
..its a different world now tho...back in the day very few artists were making this sort of music, never mind getting CDs made....now with the net ect, and pcs loads of people can make what ever they choose....I dont think SS will die - it may just be called something else? Dont give up on something you love to do, love to make, and make others happy too! : ) ...I can see your frustration, the thing is with all the new styles coming out almost monthly, SS gets smaller and smaller....
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: