Reply to topic

Post Post #25096

Korg DVP-1 vocoder "Now you are mine!" (just bought it) Smile
Michiel van der Kuy used a DVP-1 for Future Generation Album (and many more I think) He also bought it again for new Rygar album, what I have heard.

Post Post #25112
Well, now I am awaiting some more awesome tunes from you Anton! Razz

Post Post #25113
i just bought korg m1 too...no kidding Very Happy

Pho,Banh mi,Ha Long Bay...

Post Post #25116
KoolKool wrote:
i just bought korg m1 too...no kidding Very Happy

and i just bought all the gear that Mvdk has or had lolllllllll .... kiddin. Very Happy

All jokes aside , for spacesynth i think software is much better nowadays and much easier to set up , the sound is great , with hardware , is more time consuming , you need a LOT of stuff and you get lost in a jungle of cables . But each one to their own , im not gonna bother with the infamous and stupid arguments on software vs hardware as i love both.

And Anton , now let's see if you gonna come up with some music or if all this is just for show... Wink

To add i couldnt care less if michiel owned this or not , i think it's what you are going to do with it that counts , unless you're planning to build a studio michiel van der kuy museum or shrine as you call it lol
It's good equipment nevertheless but don't be expecting to come up with the infamous van der kuy sound even tho you got them synths he used before , that's something that came from him. Since it's gonna be you making the music it's gonna be totally different.

Post Post #25123
Good Dance Recordings wrote:

All jokes aside , for spacesynth i think software is much better nowadays and much easier to set up , the sound is great , with hardware , is more time consuming , you need a LOT of stuff and you get lost in a jungle of cables . But each one to their own , im not gonna bother with the infamous and stupid arguments on software vs hardware as i love both.

Sounds like really disorganized studio in this case.
I have been in that war before.
But count up the minuses with software too, to be fair enough? Becouse, what about money?

People use hardware on very diverse reasons.
To me the reason is that -- nowadays the programmers create software like they really hate computers and customers or their job. The customization options are humiliating with these limited options and it is really fast outdated and problems will arise becouse of this.
So I feel about it like it is like shoe which is available with one size only which is sold every year in different size little bit. So, when shoe "wears out", I cant get the same size as new.

my search for help to get "my shoe"
http://www.spacesynth.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

And even if to adapt with every new version, then someone is not happy...
http://www.spacesynth.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15070#15070

Post Post #25124
about JX series and Junos.

They are really great synthesizers if to get hands on atleast one.
I have too these synthesizers and have opened their case and done some modifications on JX8P, JX10, MKS70, Juno106.

That special firmware http://www.vecoven.com/superjx/superjx.html is still in development and adds PWM, however it is somewhat no longer 100% backward compatible (so you cant save the sounds in order to use for other not-upgraded JX10). I have not used that though, I have just used that JX10SE2.3

If someone wants to upgrade their JX10, welcome I can help with that as I have still some blank EEPROMs Smile

JX10 is NOT 2x JX8P synthesizers, as JX10 and JX8P chorus unit differs slightly. Without chorus however they sound exactly the same. MKS70 and JX10 are still pure replica by oscillators and chorus, but the MKS70 sysex is developed much better way.

Those over 64Kbit cartridges I begin making myself too, but in a way that these several banks are available with switches if the special new firmware is not in use by synth. So, maintaining backward compatibility. For Yamaha TX802 this kind of multibank cards are available for a long time ago already.

These Roland M16C and M64C cards are really expensive, however it is much cheaper to fabricate these themself. Details and PCBs can be obtained for less than 100SEK for such over 64K multibank card, if having soldering iron and skills handy.

Also, if it is not working, then it is better to open it -- there is a battery inside which needs changing, but they have not fabricated these cartridges to be opened easy way. Wink

There is a programmers emulator available for these synthesizers -- JX8P, JX10, MKS70.

PG800 costs quite a fortune.
However what can be done is to use MIDI controller BCR2000 or so, instead of PG800, which can be used too in fact as for PG1000 (ROland D50/D550 programmer) and for ROland Super Jupiter MKS80

Roland JUNO106 synthesizers rack version is MKS-7. both support sysex. The service: buttons to change (1EUR 50pcs), faders (10PCS ca 20EUR) when ordered from e-bay. Dead voice chips? For this the solution is not to buy 50EUR/chip new chips, but just to get a one litre acetone, and carefully dillute the isolation on these ones (I repaired so another Juno-106 which had these dead voice chip problems).

Another additional hack -- the Juno-106 actually can be with memory card support too, but only the connection is not brought out... Wink Also the chorus rate can be changed to smoothly adjustable.

Their chorus is quite noisy (especially JUNO-106). It is normal however, and it is a compromise between fat sound and noise level. But the noiselevel can be reduced with noise gate which is added in schematic at the end on the BBD chips which closes the J-FET transistors. Can send it. However some soldering skills required and simple adjustment (or a colleauge tech can make it).

that JV1080. Thats a great piece of hardware, especially these SR-JV80 series cards. Those ones can be copied and replicated like a floppy. It does not mean that it can be put to floppy, but the process itself is similar, but the contents can be put to empty spare flash memory. Smile

[EDIT]

About software. Actually... it would be great if there would be programmers who actually love their program and the end users of it. Those who will, do it and have done, while others say with arrogance "we do not support this and that".
Problem is that those who work in some corporation do not get a chance to really put their heart into it.

There are some examples of synthesizer firmwares - of Ensoniq SQ80 and JX10. SQ80 firmware was like written in a rush. JX10 factory firmware actually has sysex capability but it seems like the programmer was abrupted and they wanted the team to program sequencer instead.
Also, when I was a software developer then I would be glad to make some audio codecs cross-platform compatible, but strange enough, boss said strict "no, do NOT do it".

Post Post #25161
http://mt.ee/hyperspace/synthesizerbinary/

Here You can get some synthesizer ROM firmwares, who have EPROM burner handy and want to
patch their synth faults.

* Roland MKS-70 v1.08 firmware plus v1.06 soundmodule firmwares (it makes comprehensive SYSEX possible then).

* Roland MKS-50 v 2.1

* Roland JX10 version 2.3 firmware

* Roland JD990 V1.05 firmware (I have also older ones who want them)

* TX802 special edition firmware with custom ROM preset patches

These .BIN files are sold with ridiculous prices at e-bay, however all of these are not meant
for sale as they are released directly from factory. IT is much cheaper to buy a Willem Programmer and blank EPROM chips instead of buying a reprogrammed ones. These files are found from several sites and it is totally ok to share and spread them and I encourage to do so.

Wanted: Korg Wavestation A/D firmware v1.25 .

Post Post #25163
These who still wish to have own hardware PG800-programmer without getting broke
and have some skills there is a link how to repair OR make yourself it with modern components:

http://poesboes.com/poesboes/PG-800/index.html

Post Post #25164
sx001 wrote:

Sounds like really disorganized studio in this case.
I have been in that war before.
But count up the minuses with software too, to be fair enough? Becouse, what about money?

hardware studios are a big mess (cables anyone?) and no need to mention the space you need and we're not talking about 4 or 5 synths , im talking about a big proper studio. Software does all that and much more plus is clean , compact , more affordable and easier to use than having to buy loads of equipment to make some tracks that music is very hard to sell nowadays anyway. I own 3-4 synths and that's just about it. Hardware i use it sometimes but software is clean , compact and i barely notice any difference in my songs nowadays between hardware and software plus software has much cleaner sound as hardware brings a lot of noise with it. The Algorithms are the same and most synths today use the same as it's all virtual analogue. It's a very good step in technology that i've embraced and i don't regret it. Both hardware and software are good!

Quote:
that JV1080. Thats a great piece of hardware, especially these SR-JV80 series cards. Those ones can be copied and replicated like a floppy.

yea but what's the point if there's no card you can't put it in the jv , it's pointless.

Post Post #25167

hardware studios are a big mess (cables anyone?) and no need to mention the space you need and we're not talking about 4 or 5 synths , im talking about a big proper studio. Software does all that and much more plus is clean , compact , more affordable and easier to use than having to buy loads of equipment to make some tracks that music is very hard to sell nowadays anyway. I own 3-4 synths and that's just about it. Hardware i use it sometimes but software is clean , compact and i barely notice any difference in my songs nowadays between hardware and software plus software has much cleaner sound as hardware brings a lot of noise with it. The Algorithms are the same and most synths today use the same as it's all virtual analogue.

(And you said that You do not take part in this software-hardware war...)

You certainly havent read those links in that post before You wrote that. Did not you? And that -- count the minuses with software up too.

Why all-in-software does not work for me I explained in my own thread which link You seemed to ignore it totally. To me hardware is clearly not a problem. Problem to me is the computer software which is done by programmers like they hate the computers and their customers. But thanks for my hesitant upgrading
then my trash does not include computer details (-- becouse every second year software upgrades require computer upgrade too!).

Also price about the software You did not read either.
If software is affordable as You say then imagine buying a software package with 700 EUR and later when needed to upgrade it costs the same amount money even to loyal customer! (read that Davids experience why he was pissed off to Steinberg).
Definetly it comes cheap when pirating the software, but dont you talk about business or "being professional" in this case Very Happy

While You plan to upgrade the software, the old version becomes worthless (you can not sell it), but hardware You can sell as even the old hardware has value. Actually the old synthesizers are in vintage status and their prices is going up (just like JD990), however not so high price as brand new on those days! So, from this point of view, money spent on hardware is far from wasted (even Korg M1 and Wavestation if these were bought as second hand relatively cheap).

Big proper studios -- do not bash them if you really have not visited them? I have seen and worked in a several big studios with Neve console with 48 channels, ATC studio monitors. Wall of the effect units, 48channel digital recording equipment with ProTools and 24 track 2" tape machines. On console -- automation, presets, noise gates -- all there, and they do not run about console, "seeking free input". there are patchbays. In fact there is nothing so much to see behind, becouse everything is stationary installed. Also when we install then every cabel is labeled.

AND which noise are you talking about?? You do not have analog synths, and You have just up to 8 stereo pairs to mix. Perhaps You are keeping inputs too cold, input faders way down low level and master fader all the way too up? Try opposite by keeping inputs as hot as possible and soundcard level sensitivity adjust to +4dBu
I get a decent mix with 18 stereo pairs with 90..96dB dynamic level (several analog synths, digital rack effects, 4 return channels, without noise gating system, non-weighted, full analog path mixing console). Certainly no issue even in this situation.
Now with noise gates active on inputs I have all my mixes with 120dB dynamic, whatever if it would be all channel inputs and returns in the mix.

About room... or HUGE room especially. thats the hard one, but not becouse how many synths, but becouse of sound. Acoustics! I still prefer listening my finals at these big studios becouse of this.
I really recommend to visit some of the big studios (SHORTEST wall is longer than 6 meters, treatments on the wall, 3-way active studio monitors ATC SM50ASL (or 150ASL) plus subwoofers and listen Your own piece.
Perhaps then You understand what I talk about why that (close to half a million room) is worth Very Happy Wink
No average bedroom comes near to this combination even if having these loudspeakers and wall treatments -- too small room and does not matter if full of objects or empty (even worse).

(offtopic:
About thoughts regarding to room size, it is really no argument, but it is more a personal preference and habits in most cases, just like how someone consumes water and electricity (see yourself around).
)

Quote:

Quote:
that JV1080. Thats a great piece of hardware, especially these SR-JV80 series cards. Those ones can be copied and replicated like a floppy.

yea but what's the point if there's no card you can't put it in the jv , it's pointless.

These can be made yourself, but this is not the forum/thread for this.

P.S.: are You making some spacesynth track with effort and really setting time for ONE track by now and giving to it all the time it needs to develop? I am picking with my JV1080 spacesynth tune.

Last edited by sx001 on 2016-11-20, 15:47; edited 5 times in total
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: