This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Master Droid

Post Post #8378
Ok, here is question about compressors, what better to use(vsi)?

And:
To mix kick drum/bass(whatever), ussualy what effects are used?EQ, chorus(bass), compressor, what else can be usefull to "experiment" with sound?More mixing explanation.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8383
Hi NeutonMouse,

If you aren't familiar with the way a compressor works it doesn't matter much which one you use. You can try for example Kjaerhus Classic Compressor. At the KVRaudio.com forum there's a lot about compressors.

The basic idea with compressing is that you have to make it "breath" with the music so watch those attack and release times. In most cases the kick drum needs to be compressed or you don't get that punchy sound out of it. The same goes for snare. It depends on the bass sound whether it needs compressing really.

With EQ you have to trust your ears and experiment. Don't make drastic boosts unless you really want that kind of effect. I used to use EQ a little bit too much and the result was a mess with unnatural high-end (an example of this would be my tune 'No Remorse'). I believe many people start out with a kick drum and bassline making sure that they work together. When you have the backbone done it's easier to build other sounds around them.

Learn to use delays and prefer them over reverb. I can't even write melodies if I don't have any delay on output. You can make your leads sound great and arps really spacey with a well timed multitap delay. Delays with a built-in filter are really usable too. In spacesynth delays are often used on basslines - but I suggest that you filter out bass freqs in your delay so the bassline doesn't get too muddy.

In my experience one of the trickiest sound to handle is the snare. It can be difficult to blend it in so a careful use of EQ and compressor is important. I learnt from Mark Vera that a subtle flanger can be used on a lot of things to make things smoother and a bit organic - works quite well on snare sometimes.

Still learning every day.

Master Droid

Post Post #8392
Hi Lauri:)
Thanks for information.
Ok, i "saw" a compressor and use it(and i maked myself to work harder on eq, eh lazy) what'an discovery Smile so i experimented with it, great: it's a success!
here is exam and just about drums, did they "fit" into this test track?How about other sounds?
http://www.speedyshare.com/526827739.html

Thanks for help!

Post Post #8395
LauriT wrote:
Anyone read Mixing Engineer's Handbook, btw? Seems good for what I have read so far.

where?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8397
SX001 wrote:
LauriT wrote:
Anyone read Mixing Engineer's Handbook, btw? Seems good for what I have read so far.

where?

Mixing Engineer's Handbook

I think LauriT meant this one?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8400
Ya, that's the one.

Master Droid

Post Post #8403
LauriT wrote:
With EQ you have to trust your ears and experiment. Don't make drastic boosts unless you really want that kind of effect. I used to use EQ a little bit too much and the result was a mess with unnatural high-end (an example of this would be my tune 'No Remorse').

That's one mistake I've definitely made... should every instrument go through some kind of EQ, or are there only certain ones you need to worry about? I guess you want a basic high-pass filter on all of them to make room for the kick, but otherwise...?

Quote:
I learnt from Mark Vera that a subtle flanger can be used on a lot of things to make things smoother and a bit organic - works quite well on snare sometimes.

Interesting... is there anything the the flanger works particularly well on, aside from the snare? What else would you use it on?

Post Post #8404
LauriT wrote:
... I can't even write melodies if I don't have any delay on output ...

Lauri, what do you mean by that? Do you want to say it is necessary to have initially nice sound to compose a melody?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8405
TD Mak wrote:
That's one mistake I've definitely made... should every instrument go through some kind of EQ, or are there only certain ones you need to worry about? I guess you want a basic high-pass filter on all of them to make room for the kick, but otherwise...?

Nah, not all of them. Rather polish the sounds. Don't try to fix them too much - in that case you should look for a new sound that fits better your music. I think drum and percussion sounds are the ones that usually need to be EQ'd. I don't EQ synth sounds so much. I look for a sound that fits the mix quite well from the beginning. Remember that you can make a lot of things with EQ. If you want to push a sound to background, reduce higher freqs so that it has less clarity.

Quote:
Interesting... is there anything the the flanger works particularly well on, aside from the snare? What else would you use it on?

Hmm, from my experience: hihats, pads and some leads (alternatively you can go wild here to achieve that anders-effect Smile).

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8406
Hadron wrote:
LauriT wrote:
... I can't even write melodies if I don't have any delay on output ...

Lauri, what do you mean by that? Do you want to say it is necessary to have initially nice sound to compose a melody?

Not a nice sound necessarily but delay gives some kind of rhythm that makes it easier to record ideas. It's just a method that works for me. I don't know how other musicians work.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: