This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #9808
I replaced my old mobo and cpu recently and I have to say I'm really satisfied with the performance of my computer now. Well, it is just the 2,6 gHz dual core at the moment, but it will be easy to upgrade someday if needed (my mobo supports the "monsterous" quad core too, and I think this is the minimum requirement if you buy a new mobo these days).

As a first timer self-made man replacing mobo and cpu the process was quite easy (ain't really expert of computers) but the only "problem" became after I switched the power on: the computer booted just before the login screen over and over again. I searched some information that could cause this kind of problem and fortunatelly I managed to find it. The problem was based on the fact that I changed the CPU from Intel to AMD and there was some file planted by intel somewhere into windows/system32 directory that performed the reboot.. I deleted the file and since then the computer has worked just fine.

But anyway, the difference is remarkable. The old setup (Intel Celeron 3 ghz whom you "nerds" might laught at) was performed quite ok one year ago when I used mostly free VSTi's and native effects of my Renoise. And of course the Korg MicroX. All my mikseri songs was made with that set up. But about a year ago I started to purchase more commercial VST instruments and effects (quality- and mixingwise my songs are now at a lot higher level becouse of that) my computer simply "couldn't take it anymore". The composing and producing became very slow and painful. I ended up to the situation where I had to render the audio to wave-file to hear what changes I did to the song last time (couldn't play the song without crackles and tilts). But now- I really don't know how to run the computer out of CPU with making music- unless I decide to create chaos. Typical me- I used to hang on the old habits too long. Not anymore.

Post Post #9809
Seems you've had a nice little upgrade there... Smile

Let's benchmark! On your new system, what CPU peak level (percentage) do you get from playing, let's say, the The Masquerade.xrns demo song in Renoise 2.0 (go Menu -> Help - Tutorial and Demo Songs)?

Also, how much RAM, which OS and what sound card do you use in this new system?

Speaking of Renoise. If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest that you grab EnergyXT (version 1.4, not 2) and run it as a VST-instrument from within Renoise. That way you can play very long audiofiles in perfect sync and hear the audio from wherever you press play (something not possible in Renoise itself) and also you can layer several VST-instruments together into one new instrument, split the keyboard in many parts and assign different VSTi:s to them, and do other cool stuff. For freezing tracks I've used FX Freeze without any problems, works great here with Renoise 2.0's new PDC-features. Also don't forget that Renoise can master other slave-apps like Reason (i.e. using its racks as a Renoise instruments); it's quite fun to turn the knobs in Reason from Renoise automation curves via Midi-CC devices and LoopBE1 virtual midi cables while you play your favorite VST-synths on the other tracks in Renoise...

For those who didn't know, Renoise 2.0 is available for download since almost a week now... the best music software in the world IMO. In the last years I've trashed Orion Platinum (sorry Mark Vera), FruityLoops, Cubase and lately Sonar -- I only need Renoise actually. We are married now. Wink

Here is a screencap of Renoise, posted by some user (and notice the quote!):

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #9810
Prometheus wrote:
On your new system, what CPU peak level (percentage) do you get from playing, let's say, the The Masquerade.xrns demo song in Renoise 2.0 (go Menu -> Help - Tutorial and Demo Songs)?

Also, how much RAM, which OS and what sound card do you use in this new system?

The peak level seems to be at 20%, and it is about the same with coop5.xrns file too. On older setup the peak level was around 60%, so... there is some differece indeed. 4gb RAM, WinXP sp3, soundcard M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Quote:
If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest that you grab EnergyXT (version 1.4, not 2) and run it as a VST-instrument from within Renoise.

Yes thanks for your tip, I have tried it in the past with my older setup, but never interested that way much becouse the filesize became so big that it took too long to load the songfiles. No joke, my computer became really slow. But now I think it could be more handy tool to use, not to save some CPU, but becouse of the other features.

Quote:
For those who didn't know, Renoise 2.0 is available for download since almost a week now... the best music software in the world IMO. In the last years I've trashed Orion Platinum (sorry Mark Vera), FruityLoops, Cubase and lately Sonar -- I only need Renoise actually. We are married now. Wink

Well I don't have much experience with those softwares, but Cakewalk I have- and I have to say I like Renoise a lot more. I remember some time ago when my friend asked me what software I use, and when I said that I use a tracker (Renoise) the first reaction he had was like "hey come on, get rid of that tracker software if you want to make some quality stuff someday! Try some sequencer based software instead"... People usually don't know how great and "seriously taken" software Renoise (2) really is. Basically, it is all I need and even more. It IS great, period.

It is nice that there are some alternative possibilities to people like us. Everyone has their own taste and every choice is right- as long as the music making is fun and the result is satisfying.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #14171
Thread revival!

It seems that every 3-4 year I need to upgrade to a better computer. Now the biggest reason is that I want to switch from 32 to 64-bit and finally move from XP to Win7. I currently have a QuadCore PC with 2gb RAM running 32-bit XP. It's not bad but big sample libraries require lots of RAM. Also, new Cubase 6 officially supports only 64-bit Windows and soon more and more programs require a 64-bit processor.

I've been updating myself a bit and seems that Intel is still generally way to go. Are there some processors or other components coming soon the to the market that I should wait for? Do the current motherboards generally have those old PCI slots anymore?

What are your current computer specs?

// Lauri

PS. Not gonna buy a Mac.

Post Post #14172
LauriT wrote:

I've been updating myself a bit and seems that Intel is still generally way to go.

Why? I don't know if much has changed since 2009, but back then I wanted to have as much power I could get with a moderate price. For me AMD seemed like a better choice back then. But if you want the absolute best, I quess it's going to be Intel.

Quote:

I upgraded in Nov 2009 to this:

AMD Phenom II x4 925 3,0 GHz, Nexus XIR-2300 cooler
8,0 GB RAM, DDR 3
Antec ATX Sonata III case, 500W

It's a very silent setup. I'm running it with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Post Post #14173
LauriT wrote:
Are there some processors or other components coming soon the to the market that I should wait for?

Cheaper SSDs to be configured in raid mode?

LauriT wrote:

I downgraded to a $750 laptop loaded with $59 Renoise and $20 Koss earplugs. That's all I need. Not too long ago I also had a handful of hardware synths, a midi controller and studio monitors. But I decided to get rid of all that hardware in order to focus exclusively on "cafe composing". Today I'm more productive than ever before. Maybe not so much within the spacesynth genre, but with "experimental" music I can't stop myself from experimenting... Going "less is more" and downgrading really worked wonders for me, but then of course I'm not an artist like yourself and I understand that you might have different needs.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #14177
Lauri, I'm also planning to buy some new stuff later this year. I got a harddisk crash at the end of last year and now all the files are lost. I regret that I didn't made any backup of the VSTi-patches but it is too late to think about that now. I have bought a new harddisk but I haven't succeed to configure the computer yet and I assume that there is some problem with the motherboard.
At the moment I'm composing music with my laptop and a small Novation keyboard which works ok as a temporary solution. My next stationary computer will have an Intel processor and lots of ram but I'm not so sure if I will use Cubase any longer. I have used Cubase SX (v.1) until today and I have tested Cubase 4 but didn't like the effect tracks so at the moment I'm looking at some other alternatives. Let us know what decision you make as I need to buy some new gear later this year.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #14179
Sorry to hear that Staffan.

My setup is almost the same than in 2009, but last year I upgraded Windows XP to Win 7 32bit. I personally like Win7 very much, it has many handy features and looks great. Like Prometheus, I also "still" use Renoise and I haven't planned to change that to another sequencer.

Post Post #14183
Staffan wrote:
Lauri, I'm also planning to buy some new stuff later this year. I got a harddisk crash at the end of last year and now all the files are lost. I regret that I didn't made any backup of the VSTi-patches but it is too late to think about that now.

As they say: people fall into those, who do backups and those, who will Smile
I know the pain as I got the same issue like couple of years ago, and lost quite a lot of valuable stuff. Now I have everything valuable backing up each day to home server.

My present config is:
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 635
RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3-1333 Dual Channel
I have upgraded just recently, in december. But I still stick to XP - Win7 annoys me, not as much as Vista does, but still.

Post Post #14184
Staffan wrote:
I regret that I didn't made any backup of the VSTi-patches but it is too late to think about that now.

I'm sure you have used some of those VSTi patches in your projects. Just open up the old projects and save the patches again.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: