This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #6274
We have a musician's corner here and zillions of threads about various software and hardware synths but next to nothing about your most important tool: computer, digital audio workstation. Let's get nerdy and talk about computers!

Ok, of course not everyone is using a computer for making music but I for one couldn't live without it really. I have made some plans to get a new computer (PC) in the near future because I max out the CPU of my current PC in almost every project. I hate it when computer performance becomes a block for creating music. I don't use virtual instruments these days that much (apart from sample based stuff) but I apply almost all FX in Cubase and it takes a lot of resources.

However, I'm not completely up-do-date what is good to get. Anything I should look into? Is AMD still preferred over Intel? Dual core is the way to go, I assume? Something else I should keep in mind?

Post Post #6275
As for a CPU, nowadays the only choice is Intel Core 2 Duo, E6300 and higher, or E4300, which is already well known for its excellent performance and overclocking properties, and is cheaper than E6300.

Post Post #6276
As far as i know, amd was never over intel...but anyway...i have an intel dual core E 6400 2.13 Ghz that i bought recently only for music production (no internet, games, movie codecs or other stuff) and it works really really fine...i use a lot of VST's and cpu is arround 60%-70%...i reccomend also a motherboard from Intel (seems it 's the best compatibility) and at least 1 Gb DDR 2 memory.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #6277
Well, what I meant that 3 years ago or so pretty much everyone were recommending to get an AMD cpu for DAW. Things have changed since then I see. 3 years ago many were raving about Asus mobo's (which I also got and have had no probs). Maybe they aren't that hot either these days?

Master Droid

Post Post #6278
Well, i need some update too. I got 512 RAM Razz - Pro 53+M1(Vsti) and some few effects and blocking music creating process garanties.
well Intel is the final chooise, or maybe somebody can give more info?

Post Post #6279
For Audio Computers Intel + Asus

Post Post #6280
3 years ago there was no Core2Duo, PentiumD was a failure, thus AMD was on the top. Now they swapped their places.
Asus is still the top brand, but Gigabyte, due to mounting polymer condensers instead of electrolyte condensers even to lower-shelf mobos, in contradiction to all other manufacturers, is often considered as the leader brand at the moment.
Well, I have Asus and Athlon X2 3800+, and I won't say a bad word about it, but if I was into buying new stuff, I would definitelly buy C2D and, perhaps, Gigabyte mobo.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #6281
Thanks for the tips so far. It seems that C2D is now the a logical way to go. How about RAM? Anything there to think about? More the ram, the better they say - so something like 2GB would be quite ok? I currently have 1,5gb and it's nowhere enough if I'm using large samples (old and slow'ish ram though).

Post Post #6282
Yeah, 2GB DDR2 would be ok. Now beware: some new mobos do not accept more than 2GB, so you have to pay your attention to the mobo model, so you won't be in a blind alley at later time.

Post Post #6284
Has anyone got any experiences with frost acm computers? I've been thinking of bying "rasqal" when I get some money.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: