This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #7001
Many threads in our forum have involved discussions about how to achieve the sounds that were used back in the 80s. The junobass is an example of a sound that has been brought up for discussion many times and still fascinates people. Therefore we have gathered the material that we are aware of around this subejct into a fourth tutorial so that all this material are located at one place to make it easier to find.

In this tutorial you will find out that many of the classic sounds are quite easy to achieve without having to buy all those old hardware synths that have been mentioned in the interviews.

Tutorial 4 - Sound of the 80s

We will keep updating this tutorial when we find some more useful sounds of the 80s. If you have some tip to share around this subject then feel free to tells us about it in this discussionthread.

Post Post #7016
Staffan your Tutorial 4 : Sound of the 80s is very good Very Happy very well written. Good work

Post Post #7018
yes i agree.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #7021
Wicked Very Happy I have gotten myself a Roland SH-201 and am taking synth-classes, so we'll see what the future brings Wink

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #7024
space-dance wrote:
Staffan your Tutorial 4 : Sound of the 80s is very good very well written. Good work

Nice to see that you like it. Credits shall also go to Lauri as we made this tutorial together. It was a 50/50 work.

The free VSTis that we have mentioned (SQ8L and U-NO-60) have many more useful sounds that can be used for spacesynth (strings, stabs, etc), so go ahead and explore all the patches that are available for those synths.

There exist many VSTis that emulate the analogue synths, but in some cases they are so CPU hungry that they feel useless (Jupiter8V is an example). The examples that we included in the tutorial should not require any fast computer to use.
Another good part with the sounds that we published is that they are (in my opinion) easy to play with. It almost feel like the sounds compose the melodies by themselves Smile The bellsound is one of my favorites.

Post Post #7039
Staffan wrote:
space-dance wrote:
Staffan your Tutorial 4 : Sound of the 80s is very good very well written. Good work

Nice to see that you like it. Credits shall also go to Lauri as we made this tutorial together. It was a 50/50 work.

The free VSTis that we have mentioned (SQ8L and U-NO-60) have many more useful sounds that can be used for spacesynth (strings, stabs, etc), so go ahead and explore all the patches that are available for those synths.

There exist many VSTis that emulate the analogue synths, but in some cases they are so CPU hungry that they feel useless (Jupiter8V is an example). The examples that we included in the tutorial should not require any fast computer to use.
Another good part with the sounds that we published is that they are (in my opinion) easy to play with. It almost feel like the sounds compose the melodies by themselves Smile The bellsound is one of my favorites.

Great job guys , your work is fantastic Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Keep up the great work Very Happy

Post Post #7041
I would like to add 2 recipes more:

1. simple bell sound do-it-yourself:

take square wave, filter fully open,
fast attack, medium release, no sustain, decay ...a little bit to adjust accordingly to your taste
now add some faster LFO to generator with small delay, so it makes the fade to vibrate.
add reverb to your taste.

So far it is the same sound which is in Alpha Juno 2 factory presets and it sounds very similar on all analog synthesizers. Smile

2. simple pad:

add square and also saw,
attack, decay, sustain, release to 50% aprox.
bring down the filter as it will make the sound smoother and "lush" (preferred 24dB oct filter).
add some slow LFO (experiment with delay also).
add chorus & reverb.

experiment with envelope (can make additional sound more) and envelope link to filter (changes sharpness),
if you can then layer with detuned OSCs -5 cents etc.

Sounds very similar to Roland JX synth series factory default patch. Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #7112
The hihat-sound has been a problem for me until last week and I thought I should share my experience in case there is someone else that have problem around this issue.

The closed hihat from Roland's TR808 is really good and samples can be downloaded from the site that is mentioned in the tutorial: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TR-808

The closed hihat sounds more alive with some variation of the volume. Here is a screenshot that shows the velocity that I have used: screenshot.jpg

Post Post #7119
How do I load the juno60_bass.fxp into U-No 60 ? tnx in advance and for the wonderful tutorial !

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #7124
In case you have a PC it shouldn't be any problem. At the File-menu at the top of the VSTi select 'Load Instruments' and then select the fxp-file.

I'm not sure if the Mac-version of this VSTi can load fxp-files, otherwise you can use the factory-patch "17 Brass Bank A" as it sounds almost the same. The patch in the tutorial looks like this: screenshot.jpg
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: