This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #8346
Ok, not enough life on forum? I assume everyone likes good movies, so I started this thread so everyone could recommend a movie he/she likes. Don't feel bound to new movies only.

So I'll start.

I like horror movies. The problem with horror films is that I expect them to be scary, while those produced in 90's or 00's in most cases are not. I miss those horrors made in 80's which were really scary, the monsters were really disguisting, made me sleepless when I was a kid. Remember "Hellraiser", "Fly" or "Alien"? That's what I'm talking about. Now we've got monsters made with CG, which in probably all cases look too plastic to be scary.
Talking about new horror movies, I like "1408" which was pretty good, atmospheric, kept me in kind of tension. After this one, I didn't expect that I'll be served with a movie that will offer higher level of tension and fear. I was wrong.

The movie I'm talking about is spanish production [Rec]. I wouldn't reveal plot here - you can find it on IMDB, but this movie is REALLY scary, more than I expected. Just watch those ratings on IMDB - it's rare for them to be that high. Movie is made in a fashion of "Blair Witch Project" - all action is seen thru the eye of camera held by reporter. Starts boring, but with the lapse of time, the tension raises, to almost explode at the end. Perhaps it's a shame to say, but I had problems with falling asleep after watching this movie - my imagination wasn't going easy on me... Highly recommended picture for every horror fan, unless you like gore only.

My rating is 8.5/10

Post Post #8347
Hi Krizz

Thanks for the tip! Smile

Yes "1408" is a very good movie. I love those Stephen King movies. Have you seen "The Mist" already? If not, run to your cinema! Smile

Recently I watched also a pretty good spanish thriller from 2007: "El Orfanato". Give it a try if you like ghost-movies....

Post Post #8348
martmix wrote:
Have you seen "The Mist" already? If not, run to your cinema! Smile

Yeah, I've seen "The Mist" already. I find it pretty good movie, not that scary tho', as the movie is claimed to be a horror. It's rather sci-fi for me. The ending is quite unexpected and kinda depressing what is a strong side of the movie. 7.5/10 as for me.

martmix wrote:
Recently I watched also a pretty good spanish thriller from 2007: "El Orfanato". Give it a try if you like ghost-movies....

Also seen it already. And I find is as another good tension-based movie - seems like spaniards are good at it Smile Also recommended one. The ending surprised me - a bit of "twist" as they call it. To complete the list I have to add "Pan's Labirynth", which is another good spanish picture for me.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8349
I haven't seen any of those movies you recommend and I consider myself a horror freak Smile Especially [Rec] looks interesting, will definitely watch it. There were lots of scary movies made in the 70s and 80s. Many of the early slasher films were really effective too. Then the film makers lost the plot. Only recently there's been some movies that are scary again. Japanese horror revitalized the genre somewhat although there's been too many clones of that same formula by now.

To recommend some of the older and not so old: "Dark Water" is good japanese horror. "Hostel 2" is pretty disgusting but not bad Smile For a good laugh I recommend "Zombie Holocaust" and "Eaten Alive", both from the 80s.

And then for something completely different: "Before Sunrise" and its sequel "Before Sunset". Very captivating stories and highly recommended.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8350
Krizz wrote:
To complete the list I have to add "Pan's Labirynth", which is another good spanish picture for me.

Oh yeah, I like that one. Another good Spanish movie is "Abre los ojos". It was later remade in Hollywood and was called Vanilla Sky which many probably know.

Post Post #8351
... have you any plans of making "M-Freak return"?

Mad

sorry. but i guess it would be the most scary homemade film.

these scary films actually contain quite bad energy in it and I would NOT recommend these as food for your fantasies. never.
(... or in other case you will find even my this post really cool actually )

P.S. for others who have plans still to make happy spacesynth -- "The Neverending Story" I, II and III .

Post Post #8352
LauriT wrote:
Another good Spanish movie is "Abre los ojos". It was later remade in Hollywood and was called Vanilla Sky which many probably know.

Oh, "Vanilla Sky" was a very nice one. I didn't know it is a remake...

Quote:
these scary films actually contain quite bad energy in it and I would NOT recommend these as food for your fantasies.

Hehe, the more evil energy, the better Very Happy
Alex, don't hesitate to review some comic movie, if you like Smile

About "Neverending Story" - man, it's was brilliant. I saw it in cinema when I was a primary school kid... I really loved it, it was really imaginative movie, especially for a kid I used to be. And the main theme by Limahl - no need to say how ingenius it was/is.

Post Post #8353
Movies yes, another subject that affects me. Here´s some of the best I´ve seen.

Fire walk with me (almost every movie by Lynch is a wonderful experience of itself)
American Psycho
The butterfly effect
La vita e bella

These are only few of my favourites. Do you want to see something grouse, watch "Salo". One can only speculate why the producer got killed right after the film was finished.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #8355
Melodius wrote:
Movies yes, another subject that affects me. Here´s some of the best I´ve seen.

Fire walk with me (almost every movie by Lynch is a wonderful experience of itself)
American Psycho
The butterfly effect
La vita e bella

These are only few of my favourites. Do you want to see something grouse, watch "Salo". One can only speculate why the producer got killed right after the film was finished.

I like Lynch's movies too and of course Twin Peaks was cool too. His movies are kind of controversial and that's why everyone doesn't like them. I find them very interesting and usually they are visually enjoyable.

I personally don't like horrormovies much anymore, when I was younger I find them more enjoyable. Nowadays I'm not interested them at all. Maybe nothing affects me anymore, hahah.

These days I like more older movies like good old Italo Westerns, and also 1970-1980 made movies. I think I'm a bit tired of the new "special effect"-filled stuff that are made these days. I like it more "down to earth" and to me the story itself is important. I don't know what movie I'd recommend but yes, David Lynch movies in general are pretty interesting to me.

Post Post #8357
To make it clear: I don't like movies with mindless violence, people being ripped to pieces, babies being cooked in microwave oven and eaten, and such stuff. I don't search for gore in horror movies. What I search for is atmosphere. Look, in 1408 there's no gore at all yet the movie keeps spectator in tension, in [Rec] there is some gore, but it's not the point there - in both movies it is about atmosphere of fear and tension, and both archieve it, but [Rec] does it better.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: