This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #10874
Time for another recommendation.

Ip Man

The movie tells the story about Yip Man, legendary Wing-Chun style sifu, the master of Bruce Lee. I was expecting some ordinary kung-fu movie, and what I got was a kung-fu movie, filled with a lot of fights, but also something more I can't tell "ordinary" about. It's not another 50-metres-jumps-and-crushing-rocks-with-a-hand-blow movie - it's very realistic, and, I must say, emotional. Excellent acting by Donnie Yen - Yip Man, who was a rich man and never had to work, emanates with charisma, self-control, coolness while being polite and humble at the same time, yet when the bad times come with Japanese occupation of China at WW2, he shows his second face, being able to hard work with humility, and even become furious when fighting with Japanese. There's something tragic in his story that moves me, but I don't want to spoil the movie here.

Strongly recommended!
8/10

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #10918
Watch Brüno Very Happy In Movie-Theaters now... No Science Fiction but still something quite out of the ordinary...

Post Post #11053
If you are a fan of Alien movies, I suggest checking out the Special Edition version of Aliens (1986). I watched it few days ago and in the beginning I almost felt I was watching it for the first time in my life, there is so much material missing in the theatre version. James Cameron himself said that he prefers the special edition version also, as that's how it was meant to be, but at the time they told him not to make the movie too long. So the original release is 17 minutes shorter.

I also watched the Director's Cut version of the first Alien movie (1979), but I thought the extra material was just useless, could say even ruining in the end. So if you are buing it on DVD/Blu-ray I suggest making sure it's the theatre release, or as in my case, it has them both.

Post Post #11068
Sakke: yeah that movie is frikkin' awesome! I got the Alien boxset and this is for sure the best in the series...and you get a little more clue whats going on in the SP version too.

Post Post #11633
I saw "2012" couple of days ago and can't say it's a bad movie. Just like all Emmerich movies, it has straightforward story - nothing surprising, nothing dissapointing, some ridiculous scientific approach, but what I like Emmerich for, are the special effect. I've refreshed his previous disaster movie, "Day after tomorrow", since it was played on polish TV yesterday, so now it's easy to compare these two... well, 2012 is way more disaster, those cataclysmic scenes are so beautiful and there are even more of them. What's next? The end of universe? I'd like to see that in Emmerich's directing Very Happy

But everyone knows about this picture, and I actually wanted to recommend something really special and perhaps, unknown. It's a japan picture "Goemon" (2009).

First off, I really enjoy japan anime. Pictures like "Akira" or "Ghost in the shell" were and still are awesome. What I like about japan movies, is that they are completelly different than american animated movies, which are produced mostly for kids. Japan produces animated stuff which, IMO, is animated better, drawn better and is more adult, like those two I mentioned. The problem with Japanese is that while they are good at producing animated stuff, they used to suck at actor movies. Used to. After watching Goemon I see there is a bright future for japanese cinematography.
The movie is made in helluva anime style, so don't expect anything realistic here. Fight scenes are not just impressive - there are so exaggerated, so absurd that Hollywood would never dare to get anywhere close with its down-to-earth, mundane approach. And they are not nonsense at the same time after you realize the story is a fairytale, just like most anime stuff. In fact, the action moves so fast that you cannot keep up with embracing it. Scene follows up the scene, and most of the scenes are action-based, action at its best. Anyone who used to be or is an anime fan, or at least enjoys it, will be pleased with Goemon. 9/10.
There is a movie made by the same director, Kazuaki Kiriya, called "Casshern" from 2004, which is supposed to be similar style as Goemon. Fortunatelly I haven't seen it yet. Fortunatelly since lucky are those who are just going to see Goemon, and I hope I'll be also pleased with previous work of Kiriya.

Post Post #11636
Ooooh same that made Casshern, wich i have seen (long ago tho) and remember it as AWESOME! Very Happy Thanks for the tip, ill try find Goemon then! Very Happy

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #11695
I went to see Paranormal Activity and liked it. I didn't read much about it beforehand so I wasn't sure what to expect. The story and characters weren't always so convincing and there were several stages when I thought "Why don't they just..?". But the minimalistic Blairwitch-like approach got me. Effective and creepy cinematography.

Post Post #11696
I've seen Paranormal Activity too, and I admit, creepy one.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #11749
If you want to see something visually amazing go and see Avatar in 3D. Some really breathtaking scenes there.

I didn't like all aspects of the story and many characters were soo stereotypic but the end result is ok. CGI looks absolutely stunning. Something that has to been in a theatre. One of the things I hated about Transformers 2 was the chaotic and incomprehensible editing. Eventhough there's a lot of high paced action in Avatar scenes are more pleasing to the eye and you know what's going on.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #11750
I saw Avatar in 3D in Europe's biggest movie Theater room yesterday, and was totally blown away. My dream movie it was, which also sets new standards of what's possible nowadays. I'm kind of an emotional guy, and the story hit me better than most movies I've seen too. Cameron spent more than 4 years in the making of it, and it's magic what comes out Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: